Hot on the heels of #Februdairy, the incomparable vegan activist Joey Carbstrong has released a brand new documentary titled ‘Milk: Make Your Own Mind Up‘. This 40-minute film exposes the dairy industry and the practices ‘they’d rather you NOT know about’. While the film does include graphic images that some viewers may find disturbing, these images are simply depicting typical practices within the industry, shown truthfully. Joey asks the vegan community to please share this important documentary with those who need to see it, so they can make an informed choice whether they want to continue consuming and supporting these products – or not.
“Cows are complex, sensitive beings, who display amazing traits of intelligence and a wide range of emotions,” Joey states at the start of the documentary. “Dairy cows actively maintain friendships and have their own unique personalities. Each one of these animals is an individuals having their own conscious subjective experience of reality so please keep in the forefront of your mind that cows are someone not something.”
Some facts about dairy from the film:
- “Dairy cows have been modified to produce up to 10 times more milk than they naturally would.”
- “Dairy Calves worldwide are almost always separated from their mothers shortly after birth”
- “The separation of mothers from calves causes an emotional pain similar to a physical one and cows and their calves have been known to cry out for each other days after the traumatic separation
- “30% of UK dairy cows have mastitis, a painful bacterial infection of the udder.”
- “Over 50% of dairy cows suffer from crippling lameness and some cows are forced to wear chains called hobbles for month at a time to limit movement.
- “A huge study conducted at Oxford University which looked at almost 40,000 farms in 119 countries shows that meat and dairy uses a staggering 83% of farmland and produces 60% of agriculture’s greenhouse gas emissions, yet provides just 18% of calories and 37% of protein.”